Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

FilmBizarro reviews CODEX ATANICUS

"Our thoughts: I didn't know what I was getting into when I contacted Carlos Atanes about getting a screener for his DVD collection "Codex Atanicus". I've seen plenty of surreal/art house films and I wasn't really expecting to be surprised. Shocked even. Not at graphic violence or violation, but at how different Carlos Atanes' movies are to anything I've ever seen. He has a certain way to confuse the flying fuck out of me, while still keeping me interested in whatever messed up situation is playing on the screen in front of me. I don't understand what he is trying to say, and I don't understand how he comes up with it, but I'm impressed.

The first short on the DVD, "Metaminds & Metabodies" is really hard to dissect and go through in detail. It's all taking place in a bar that is suppose to represent the waiting room for Hell... somehow, and it starts out with something that seems like a live performance where a girl is singing some strange song while being hooked into the wall through barbed wire. Meanwhile, a man is threatening her that he will eat a contract. Like I said, it first seemed like a live performance in the bar, but that kinda changed when the man gets shot after eating the contract and whatnot. Don't ask me what kind of contract it is, 'cause I don't know. Following scenes seemed pretty much random but I'm sure that Carlos Atanes had a point in all of this, and I would love to find out some day, but right now it all just seemed like random ideas put together. But, it offered some twisted moments, some gore and some naked chicks, so even if you don't understand what's going on, there's still some odd pleasures to find in this movie (...)"

Read the entire review at FILM BIZARRO


More info about Carlos Atanes films at

www.carlosatanes.com

No comments: