Pages

Friday, April 8, 2005

I MAKE ODD MOVIES / HAGO PELÍCULAS RARAS

After 19 years into the gutter of the invisible cinema I have won two honorary mentions: I make unusual movies and I throw tantrums. The second item relates me with Almodóvar (he also throw tantrums, according to the press, because he is denouncing irregularities into the spanish Academy of Cinema). At this country, argued protest is synonymous of tantrum. It isn't worthwhile to make an effort doing a explanation of the obvious to the idiot and self-seeking ones, so we'll overlook it; Unusual Movies is a more funny matter. I don't know if my movies (and the other things I do) are strange or they aren't. I made exactly that I will. But curiously, for me, unusual is almost synonymous of precious. Gold and tigers are precious because they are unusual too. So if my films are unusual, they will be precious too, aren't they?... But many people don't understand it, or they don't want to understand it. They expect me to make that others are doing. Often with good intention -I am not saying the contrary. But I ask myself: Why? If I really make unusual cinema, then it's stupendous! Understand me, I am not saying it's good. I am saying it is better than good. So I say: stupendous. Somebody who is reading me now could think so vain I am. Maybe I am, but it is no important. A few ones will have understood the true important thing.

*********
Tras 19 años en el arroyo del cine invisible he conseguido ganar dos títulos honoríficos: Hago Películas Raras y Doy Pataletas. Lo segundo me emparenta con Almodóvar (él también da pataletas, según la prensa, por denunciar irregularidades en la Academia española de Cine). En este país, la protesta argumentada es sinónimo de pataleta. No vale la pena esforzarse en hacer exégesis de lo obvio a los tontos y a los interesados, así que pasemos a otra cosa: lo de las Películas Raras es más divertido. No sé si mis películas (y por extensión, las demás cosas que hago) son raras o no. Yo hago lo que me viene en gana y punto pelota. Lo curioso es que para mí raro es casi sinónimo de valioso. El oro y los tigres son raros, por eso también son valiosos. Así que si mi cine es raro, también será valioso, ¿no?... Pero hay mucha gente que no entiende esto, o que no lo quiere entender. Pretende que haga lo que hacen los demás. A menudo con buena intención, no digo que no. Pero yo me pregunto: ¿Para qué? Si es verdad que lo que hago es raro, ¡entonces es estupendo! Entiéndanme, no estoy diciendo que sea bueno. Estoy diciendo que es mejor que bueno. Por eso digo estupendo. Alguien que lea esto puede pensar que soy un vanidoso. Quizá lo sea, pero eso no importa. Lo que importa de verdad lo habrán entendido unos pocos.

No comments: